Sunday, July 4, 2010

Food and Other Tidbits
















So I'm posting a few pictures of some of the typical dishes that are eaten here...in fact, so typical, that I will post a picture of my plato combinado, which includes ensalada, tortilla espanola, pollo, and patatas fritas that I ordered at a restaurant this afternoon. Then for dinner tonight in the comedor (dining hall/cafeteria) guess what I ended up having? That's right, the very same.
As for the dining hall food...Well...It's okay. It's pretty typical Spanish food, but mass-produced, of course. In the morning they have very strict rules that you can choose this OR that, etc. so that means that I typically eat cereal with milk, and a yogurt. A very typical Spanish breakfast is a croissant or pastry (there are tons to choose from here!) and cafe con leche. While I don't enjoy the taste of coffee, I really like Cola-Cao, which is a brand of hot chocolate prepared with milk here. Yum!

Also, if you order a tosta, it's kind of like pizza, prepared on a roll. That, and bocadillos (sandwiches prepared on a baguette) are really typical. I should post a picture of that, because they're very typical. And croquetas! Croquetas are kind of like mozzarella sticks, but prepared with meat inside instead of cheese. They're typically made of jamon, but I pretend that they're made with chicken, since I don't really eat pork. :)
Yesterday I was in Avila, a small city, and they're known for the Yemas de Santa Teresa. They're kind of like a cookie/small pastry...and they're said to have been invented by Santa Teresa. They consist of an egg yolk and sugar. Something to be tried while in Avila. Also, typically served in Castilla (this area of Spain) is membrillo with queso served on pan. Membrillo is kind of like a jam (made of figs), and I've actually seen it at Whole Foods back home before, but I hadn't realized how popular it is here, especially in the winter time.

Also, as I enjoyed my croissant and Cola-Cao at the train station yesterday morning, guess what was on the TV (in Spanish!)? Enjoy the pictures!

3 comments:

  1. looks like some really good food :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about all the food you're eating in Spain (obviously!). It really brings me back to the week I spent there with you. I can't wait to hear about all the new foods you try! Hope your trip is culinarily adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! For the most part, I can't complain about the food, although I actually had a bit of a discouraging lunch experience today...I'm a bit ashamed to admit it,but I went and found the local McDonald's! The dining hall's lunch offerings were a bit weak (I ended up with just bread and french fries! The pork, bright pink pudding, and stuffed peppers hadn't appealed to me)but the chicken snack wrap was a welcome relief this afternoon. A hungry Bonnie is a grumpy Bonnie. :) But all's well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete